Information Technology (IT) is pivotal to meeting the needs of airport customers, both passenger and airline. New platforms and systems are continually being developed to meet these changing requirements.
- However, often the airport faces the conflicting priorities of evolving their business model with new equipment and technologies while continuing to offer services on their current IT infrastructure. A key component of the migration and implementation of new systems is maintenance and support.
- There are several models an airport can deploy to meet IT support needs. These models are:
1) All functions owned, operated and maintained internally by the airport.
2) Outsource specific functions, but have the airport maintain overall control.
3) Engage a Service Provider and migrate to a partnering relationship.